Prince Abdul Aziz bin Turki Al-Faisal, Chair of the Sports Authority (GSA) told Arab News that during the second round of the Diriyah Circuit Electric Car Championship on Saturday, the lessons learned from hosting 2018 had helped improve this year’s competition.
The Kingdom also took an “exciting” move by hosting the Dakar Rally in January, but the Prince acknowledged that it was the “logistic nightmare” to coordinate a world-famous event.
One thing is certain. One thing. This year’s method was simpler, so operations were much smoother. Although they have problems that usually lead to big events, the chiefs believe they learned so much and we hosted something so big last year for the first time.
The difficulty is, they had the ‘wow factor’ last year because nothing like this happened and people were surprised. But they didn’t have that “wow factor” this year. They will, therefore, be confronted with a lot of difficulties. They plan to go around the track in a better way and promote it better.
Prince Abdul Aziz said he was pleased to turn the Formula E event into a two header racing weekend in Saudi Arabia. The prince noted the fact that Formula E was included in the wider reform plan for Saudi Vision 2030 as well as other sporting events in the coming months.
All began with Formula E. They had the race and the concerts last year and saw the government conduct the’ Seasons’ of March, whether in the eastern province, in Jeddah or Taif.
Two Formula E editions have taught GSA the experience it needs to bring into the Kingdom other top motorsports events, such as the Dakar Rally in January 2020.
This year’s figures for Riyadh race had grown, says CBX CEO Carlo Boutagy, responsible for Diriyah’s construction and e-Prix sponsor.
Last year, 38 million worldwide viewers specifically watched this race, and every year Formula E grows season by season. We foresee 45 million per race (this year), so about 90 million viewers are expected to attend a two-day event.